TRIVIAS ABOUT JOSE RIZAL
- Jose Rizal is a penny pincher (Kuripot)- As chronicled in Ambeth Ocampo's Rizal without the overcoat, Rizal was once invited to a New Year's potluck party where in everybody was assigned to bring anything and Jose Rizal was assigned to bring a Champagne. He did not like the idea, and throughout the night, he lectured everybody and advised them to stop drinking, gambling ang womanizing. Then Rizal stood up and announced that, "inabonohan ko lang", and he asked everybody to pay their share on the Champagne Bill. The partygoers was stunned and they thought that Rizal was just joking until Rizal lifted up his hat and passed it around.
- Jose Rizal had psychic tendencies- There were many instances where Rizal's dreams mirrored the future. One such dream was the one he had on Dec.30,1882. According to Rizal without the overcoat, Rizal wrote an entry in his journal dated Jan.1,1882 (two nights ago) " I had a frightful nighmare when i almost died. I dreamed that i was imitating an actor in a scene where in he is going to die. I felt that my breath was failing and i was rapidly losing strength, then i woke up. Disturbingly, Rizal was executed on the same day, 13 years later.
- Jose Rizal's favorite foods are Pancit, Manga and Lanzones- Rizal's usual breakfast was a hot chocolate, a cup of rice and Tuyo. According to Rizal's cook in Dapitan, Tinong, Rizal wants three types of viands, the first was Pinoy fare like Sinigang and Paksiw. The second was Spanish. And the third was he mysteriously describes as "mestizo". Rizal likes eating Pancit, Manga and Lanzones because it is the closest food he had in Europe.
- Si Jose Rizal ay mayabang- When Rizal was in Europe, his allowance sometimes took too long to arrive that he would run out of food fund for himself. Too proud to let his landlady learn that he had no money, Rizal would go out during mealtimes, walk around the city cursing his misfortunes, then return home with a straight face. Everyone assumed that he had eaten.
- Rizal once had a run-in with a Chinese merchant and vowed never to buy again to a Chinese- Rizal was once involved in a lawsuit with a Chinese sari-sari store owner in 1895. It aggravated him so much that he told his mother he would never buy anything again to a Chinese.
- Rizal once won the lottery- While Rizal was exiled in Dapitan, he won P6200 in the lottery with the ticket number 9736. He used half to buy some land and sent the rest to his Father.
- Jose Rizal remained calm during his execution- Before his execution, he was pale but it is not because of his forthcoming death, but because he did not have any breakfast in jail. In jail, he was served three (3) hard boiled eggs, which he dismissed as "food for rats".
- Jose Rizal used to lift weights- Saying that Jose Rizal was 4"11 in height, his waist measures 25"-26" and his chest, 37". Cement Barbells were discovered in his home on Dapitan. Leon Ma.Guerreo also noted that as a child, Rizal was made fun by schoolmaster's son, Pedro, at his Elementary School in Laguna. Rizal, who is not known as a combative man, challenged Pedro to a fight and won.